Based on an experienced team of specialists and unique research infrastructure, the Jagiellonian Center of Innovation carries out a broad range of research for the cosmetics industry. Our offer is prepared for both manufacturers of cosmetics and distributors of substances and additives used in the cosmetics industry. All proposed research is performed according to ISO 9001: 2015.
Tests of cosmetics and raw materials
Our research portfolio includes:
- Unique service of penetration and distribution analysis for chosen substances through skin, hair and nail layers in vitro using Raman spectroscopy. The service is performed in the Imaging Laboratory, which is equipped with high class Raman spectroscope (Witec alpha 300 RSA+) with an additional confocal microscope, atomic force microscope (AFM) and optical profilometer. More information about this analysis can be found here >>>
- Verification of microbiological purity for bacteria, yeast and fungi
The offer includes microbiological testing of presence of bacteria, mold and fungi according to the following specification:
- Number of aerobic mesophilic bacteria according to PN-EN ISO 21149 standard
- Number of yeasts and molds according to PN-EN ISO 16212 standard
- Presence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa according to PN-EN ISO 22717 standard
- Presence of Staphylococcus aureus according to PN-EN ISO 22718 standard
- Presence of Escherichia coli according to PN-EN ISO 21150 standard
- Presence of Candida albicans to PN-EN ISO 18416 standard
- Verification of preservative efficiency – preservative test
- Preservative test (challenge test) performed according to PE-EN ISO 11930 standard.
- Viscosity test
- Identification of contaminations in cosmetic formulations
With our knowledge and experience in the development of analytic methods (qualitative and quantitative chromatography analyses) and by using mass spectrometry and NMR spectroscopy, we identify and monitor contaminations present in raw material samples and in formulations, thereby confirming the identity of chemicals.
Additionally, we offer support for microbiological laboratories of cosmetic manufacturers via fast identification of microorganisms using mass spectrometry MALDI-TOF analyses. Such an instrument utilizes laser desorption/ionization supported with a matrix with time-of-flight analyzer, using a MALDI-TOF mass spectrometer Microflex LT from Bruker. Identification of a microbe is performed within a few minutes based on the unique protein profile of the organism (ribosomal proteins), the so-called molecular “fingerprint”, which allows for saving a lot of time as compared to 24–48 hours needed to identify a microbe using conventional methods.