With its experienced team of specialists and unique research infrastructure, the Jagiellonian Center of Innovation offers laboratory analyses of food and dietary supplements at the manufacturer’s request.
Testing of Food and Dietary Supplements
We perform both routine assays and measurements, as well as complex research projects with the use of innovative methods.
Testing of probiotics
The Jagiellonian Center of Innovation offers testing of probiotics with a status of a dietary supplement. The tests allow for the evaluation and comparison of the quality of probiotic products. The analyses are performed to check conformance of the manufacturer’s declaration about the qualitative and quantitative content of probiotic microorganisms in a capsule, and the quality parameters that should characterize the probiotic bacterial strains. The research was designed based on the literature review, FAO/WHO and IPA guidelines.
As a package, we offer the following analyses for one probiotic product:
- Quantitative assessment of microorganisms in the dietary supplement at the beginning and near the expiry date.
- Qualitative assessment of microorganisms being a part of the dietary supplement.
- confirmation of the species using PCR with species-specific primers or using Sanger’s method with sequencing of 16S unit of rRNA.
- genotyping of the strain based on pulsed field gel electrophoresis (PFGE).
- Determination of antagonism of the used probiotic strain (or strains) with respect to frequently found pathogenic bacteria (Clostridium difficille, Salmonella Typhimurium, Staphylococcus aureus, Candida albicans, Bacillus cereus) using the bar method.
- Assessment of survival in a simulated abdominal environment in vitro, considering the digestive parameters in the stomach and small intestine.
- survival at low pH
- survival in salts of bile acids
- Assaying antibiotic resistance of the used strain
- determination of resistance to vancomycin, ciprofloxacin, gentamycin, ampicillin and clindamycin
- Assaying the presence of antibiotic resistance at the mobile parts of genome
Estimated price of the full test package – PLN 12,000
It is possible to perform single analyses.
Additionally, we offer food testing including:
- assaying and identification of contaminations
- determination of nutritional values
- determination of gluten content
- determination of lactose content
- product storage tests
- GMO assays
THE JCI QUALITY INSTITUTE
Additionally, please see the offer of the Quality Institute of the Jagiellonian Center of Innovation. The JCI Quality Institute is an independent research and opinion-forming center with a mission to promote high quality of dietary supplements, cosmetics and healthy food among the manufacturers and consumers. The Institute’s mission is carried out by forming opinions about products and promoting them with a JCI Quality Mark and by publication of popular science texts.
- Issuing opinions about products
- Our own ranking tests
- Popular science publications
Please visit the website of the JCI Quality Institute, where you can find:
- information about the activity of the JCI Quality Institute
- popular science texts reviewed by experts in the given scientific discipline
- information brochures developed based on our own research
- information about discipline-specific events
Business Development Manager
Agata Mleczkowska, Ph.D.
Agata Mleczkowska holds a PhD in chemistry. She is a doctoral graduate of the Institute of Catalysis and Surface Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences, where she was engaged in cultural heritage research. She started working for the Jagiellonian Institute of Innovation in 2018; her responsibilities include, amongst others, liaising with academic units, laboratories and businesses operating in the food processing, dietary supplement and raw material sectors.
For a quote, please contact:
M: +48 512 785 197
P: +48 12 297 46 12